Ralph Echtinaw: An Introduction

 I’d like to introduce myself as a candidate for mayor of St. Louis. I’m 64 years old (in August anyway) and have been a St. Louis resident since 2011. I earn my living with a one-man window cleaning business called I Feel Your Pane and am editor and publisher of an online newspaper called the St. Louis Sentinel.

Window cleaning takes less than 10 hours a week, on average, so I should have plenty of time left over to dedicate to the city.


My newspaper work in St. Louis (since 2017) has left me fairly knowledgeable about city government, so I can hit the ground running, if elected.


In my opinion, city government is already close to being a well-oiled machine, and major reform is unnecessary. As a newspaperman whose bylines go back to 1987 I’ve covered many township boards, school boards, county commissions and city councils. And St. Louis government is among the least controversial and best run that I’ve seen.


I’d like to see the city continue to replace old sewer and water lines and repave streets as much as possible. That’s not only good for your health, but good for your property value, too. However, sewers, water and roads are more expensive than ever, so moderation may be forced upon us.


My back story


Born in Rochester, Mich., I was the middle child of three, graduated from Rochester High School in 1977 and spent six years in the Navy. 


I attended Oakland Community College and Oakland University from 1984 to 1988 and was sports editor of the student newspaper at OU. I graduated with an English degree in 1988.


A 13-year career in newspapers ensued, in which I covered townships, cities, school boards, county commissions, crime and sports, culminating in three years as special sections editor at the Observer & Eccentric Newspapers in Metro Detroit.


I moved to Alma in 2001 with the idea of turning a sports photography hobby into a business. That didn’t work out, but the window cleaning business I started at the same time prospered.


After selling my Alma house to Alma College in 2011, I relocated to a modest, two-bedroom house St. Louis. It’s got an attached garage and central air, so I don’t see myself moving anytime soon.


Interests and hobbies


In fifth grade I picked up a book from the school library called Great American Fighter Pilots of World War II and have been reading military history ever since. I also enjoy historical fiction, westerns and science fiction. 


Click on this link to see a list of my books on the Good Reads site:


https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/93090495?ref=nav_mybooks


While growing up I was a major Tigers fan, but not the Lions. (I preferred the Steelers.) Since then I’ve given up football fandom but still watch baseball (mostly the Mets) on MLB.TV.


I started lunching at the Commission on Aging’s Food With Friends sites recently and am hooked. Although I’m usually the youngest person there, I enjoy the company, and the food is terrific. They recently opened the Alma Food With Friends site and already draw 15-20 people for lunch. I’m usually there on Mondays and at the Ithaca site on Wednesdays. If you’re over 60 I urge you to give it a try. 


If you have questions for me, please include them in a comment on this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Ralph made the ultimate sacrifice

Angry, lecturing shew trolls for men on eHarmony